Ushering In A New Day...

Its 5:00 am. I'm semi awakened quite lovingly by my phone alarm which sends out a muffled tring tring from under my pillow and somehow manages to vibrate my entire head from underneath. I switch it off and resume my sleep, quite unperturbed , when all of a sudden I receive a rude shock... Usher somehow blasts his way into the room at full volume. My first thought is that its all a weird dream and will get over soon. But as Usher continues to blow my eardrums to bits, I realise its Ash's phone alarm. These new gadget phones- n number of fancy features, including personalised alarms which manage to alarm everyone but the possessor. While Usher continues to ruin my sleep, Ash sleeps on apparently undisturbed. A few minutes and several pleas from me later, she awakens and switches it off. I sigh in relief... but not for long...

By this time, Usher has been ushered out by two new voices - one coming from a nearby mosque and one from a nearby Gurudwara. While the two stentorian voices battle it out in what seems like an Inter-faith Prayer Challenge, matching their tonsils and stretching their voice boxes in long drawn out calls to the Almighty, I give up all hopes of sleeping and say a little prayer of my own for regaining peace. My prayers seem to have been unheard among the much louder and more elaborate ones in the vicinity... coz the voices have now turned from two to three. The pujari in the Saraswati Temple has issued a bugle call of his own. Literally. A loud blast from the ceremonial conch signals his entry into the Battle of Vani-pat. It seems like pujari ji has a throat infection, because he switches on a cassette of Mata ke bhajans in all the latest tunes instead. At this point, the atmosphere is rent with three different calls to Him. God alone knows what He heard in the cacophony. I give up trying to make sense and wake up instead. Suddenly, studying for the exam to be held in 2 hours seems like a good plan...

I'm greeted at the breakfast table with a hollow and dull "Jai Mata Di" by Harry. Poor thing slept at 3am, with the night session of Mata ke bhajans ending at that time and woke up at 5:30 with the morning session of MkB's. As we both discuss who the winner might be, I reflect that silence is probably the best prayer. At least He'd be able to hear it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...