Repentance

He lay on his deathbed
Alone, except for one
No wreaths near his head
Remembered and mourned by none

And even as he lay gasping for air
That burnt his lungs and drowned his voice
The Devil stood beside him, watching
For long ago he'd made his choice

He'd sold his conscience in his prime
Auctioned to the highest pay
His soul belonged to the Devil
Who stood to collect his due today

He had no heart, no warmth nor love
Agony struck every nerve and sinew
He'd sown his seeds of greed and ambition
Perdition his fate was now bound to

But even as his ragged breaths faded
Lucifer gave him one last chance
Do you want to make it quick
Or do you want to drag out the dance?

He coughed and spluttered
I do not fear the dead, for they do not live
It's the living that I dread
To their questions, I have no answers to give

Take my spirit as per contract
Terms and conditions stand strong and whole
But make me suffer as much as you can
Carve the pain of my life into my soul

2 comments:

  1. i don't know how to appreciate poetry but i love reading them. this one is an outstanding piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debajyoti! This is completely different from what you like to write, so I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...