The Land of Kings

Written for Transforming Friday on Imaginary Garden With Real Toads

This is in honour of the desert people of Rajasthan, one of the toughest, hardiest yet friendliest and most honourable people in the world.




Padharo mhaare des

Welcome to my country
An ever-changing land
Landmarks shift with every gust of the wind
Burning, biting, sun-baked sand

We ride our own ships
Four long, spindly legs for oars
That split the desert sea
Ferrying us from shore to sandy shore

Every drop of that heavenly nectar
Treasured more than life itself
We neither envy, nor curse our fate
Waiting patiently for brief rainy spells

We built kingly palaces
Forts unconquered yet
The most intricate of carvings
From sand and sweat

Nomads we are, our homes the sand dunes
Courage, fortitude, tradition, honour
Our dark blood has coloured this soil
Stories passed down the generations are our only banner

Who says this land is barren
Fallow, sterile, infertile
She gave birth to us, we're her children
We don't just survive, we thrive

And with all that we have
All that we possess
We open our arms to you
Come, visit, stay with us

Padharo mhaare des
Welcome to my country





18 comments:

  1. What a BEAUTIFUL poem -and invitation. I love your pointing out that, with all of the human residents, the desert is not barren at all, but flourishes. Love the image of the camel "ferrying" people through the ocean of sand. Very clever. I fully enjoyed this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Sherry, that was sweet :) And even though I don't quite live in the desert, you're welcome to my home any time :)

      Delete
  2. This is so lovely! I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Zen, maybe all the toads should plan a trip to India sometime!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem and excellent job of taking another point of view. Some lovely images here--thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts Peggy :)

      Delete
  4. Very, very nice! I love the image of camel ships, sailing sandy seas. I especially like the next to last stanza. Great question and answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen.. glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. OH, I love how your poem is this wonderful invitation! I wish I could come visit you! This is wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella, give me a holler any time you plan to come to this side of the world! There'll be a room waiting for you in my home :)

      Delete
  6. This is beautifully written. I love the metaphoric language of your poetry.

    We ride our own ships
    Four long, spindly legs for oars
    That split the desert sea
    Ferrying us from shore to sandy shore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the description of the camels, it's really evocative. wonderful poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who says this land is barren
    Fallow, sterile, infertile
    She gave birth to us, we're her children

    This is quite telling, very moving. Loved this part, as who are we to judge - we only know what we have experienced. All humans seem quick to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!! Kind of neat that our poems together are opposites...sort of...I wrote of the camel.

    I really enjoy the perspective here and am glad your brought this foreign aspect...and to think that they do thrive as well as survive...hard to believe!!

    Thank you so much for sharing with Transforming Friday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when poets write from their rooms, their lands, their hearts ~


    I would love to visit this place one day ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you from Rajasthan?! I've been there but not in a proper desert. And everytime I've been there, this is what comes to my mind as well : "Padharo mhare des" :) You made the welcome invitation into a poem! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to come visit. What a beautiful invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read this blog and genuinely say that no other blog gives you such type of extensive information on Rajasthan Tourism. Really these guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...