Diamonds are Forever

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 38; the thirty-eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is "The Woman on Platform Number 10"


"Do you mind if I sit here?". The voice was soft and sweet. I looked up to see an angelic face that matched the voice perfectly.

"Sure", I said, picking up my bag from the bench and moving towards the end, making space for her to sit.

"Thanks", she said and smiled. A smile that lit up the entire platform.

"Are you waiting for the 2 a.m. train, too?" I ventured, certain that her answer would be in the affirmative. It was one of those stations where not more than two trains stopped per day, that too at odd timings.

"I'm not sure, actually. It all depends", she replied with a faraway, contemplative look on her face. "Why is this platform number 10? As far as I can see, and I don't have to see very far, this is the only platform in this tiny station."

I smiled as I looked at the short, muddy platform. The station master's office was a tin-roofed hut. The lone green signal twinkled in the night. "Actually, there was no station in this area for a long time. Everyone in a fifty kilometre radius had to travel another fifty km east or west to the nearest station. About fifteen years ago, a local zamindar decided to sponsor the building of this station. His only condition was that the platform number be 10, as it was his lucky number. In fact, over the next few years, he also gave land for the local school and post office. That's why this place was renamed Ratanpur, after him. Sadly, he died some time back."

We sat in companionable silence for a while. I was almost about to doze off, when she spoke.

"Can I tell you a story? I feel like sharing this with someone right now, and you're the only one available to listen to me."

"Sure", I replied, intrigued.

***

About thirty years ago, there was a daring heist at one of the largest banks of our country. It was a well-planned, meticulous and audacious con job.

A man, known by his victims as Suraj Johar, posed as a rich, successful businessman with interests in India and abroad. Over the course of eight months, he opened several accounts and a safety-deposit box, visited the bank regularly, became friends with everyone from the manager to the tea-boy, charmed his way into everyone's hearts by bringing sweets and small gifts for them every once in a while, and earned their trust completely. In seven months, got himself upgraded to VIP customer status, with privileges including a pass-key to the main locker that held the high-value safety deposit boxes, one of which was allotted to him.

He continued visiting the bank every few days for the next month or so. On every visit, he would make a deposit in the high-value locker room. Since he had VIP status, he was left unsupervised while he made his deposits.

His visits stopped suddenly after that. The people at the bank were a bit puzzled, but not overly worried. They figured he had left on a business trip, or was otherwise busy. It was when a few of the other high-value customers reported that their safety-deposit boxes were empty, that panic finally set in.

It was discovered that Mr. Suraj Johar was making withdrawals of his own every time he came to "deposit" something in the locker. Over the course of his time spent with the bank's employees, he'd managed to obtain details about the more prosperous clients, especially those who had sizeable assets locked away in the safety-deposit boxes. He'd also managed to make copies of the master key that the bank had, in case a safety deposit box had to be opened in an emergency.

The final tally of cash, jewellery and cashable bonds that he'd stolen put the haul at close to Rs. 50 crores. It was the single largest robbery of it's kind at the time. Further, Johar's credentials were found to be fake. Blame was passed from desk to desk as to how he was allowed to open an account in the bank, let alone develop such close relationships with the employees. The super-thief disappeared into thin air.

The gems have not been traced yet. However, last year, one of the stolen bonds was marked as being cashed in. The long and torturous paper trail led me to this godforsaken place. As it turned out, he'd been cashing in the stolen bonds very discreetly for the past twenty years. Last year was probably the last of the bonds, and was flagged only because it was a day away from expiry. The bonds alone should have given him over 10 crores in cash, a large amount even by today's standards. But there are no records of his having spent the money.

I've been ferreting about in the heat and dust trying to find clues to this man's whereabouts. The villagers have been co-operative enough, but I've found nothing about him. His photographs from twenty years back don't resemble anyone living in these parts right now. No one recognizes him. And yet, the only trail I have found on him leads here.

***

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for this man? You look very young to be mixed up in something like this." I looked at her slight form, her delicate features.

"I am a bounty-hunter. Not a very common profession in our country, I'm afraid, especially not for girls. But one must do what one can to fill this stomach. Do you live here?"

"No. I live in Mumbai now. But I spent many a summer here visiting my grandparents. They passed away last year. I've come here to pay my final respects to them."

"Oh. Sorry to hear about them. By the way, do you recognize this man, maybe from your childhood?" She offered me a well-thumbed photograph.

I looked at the face of a handsome man. His charm shone through the sepia-tinted photograph and the grime of ages. The eyes sparkled with a light born of mischief.

I shook my head. "Sorry. I can't say I've seen him around these parts."

She sighed. "Doesn't matter. I guess I'm taking the 2 a.m. train after all."

I smiled encouragingly at her. Of course, I could never tell the woman on platform number 10 that the man she was after was my grandfather, Ratan Lal.



The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Introduced By: Panchali Ma'am, Participation Count: 03

17 comments:

  1. Totally enjoyed reading this fictional work. Masterpiece. Keep up good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tale telling talent. Harnessing the mind of the reader at the start, till the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An engrossing read that was Mixi. Striking a conversation with the fellow traveler can sometimes be truly enticing. Liked the mystery that revolved around your story. Well narrated a usual too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm! Woman bounty-hunters, yet :) Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats a new from you mixi ,intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! The twist was really good!

    First time blogatoner .... Shreyasi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I'm still recovering from a bad bout of flu and as such looking at a computer screen for longer than five minutes at a time is still making me dizzy :( I wrote this post in just about half an hour, just for the sake of participation. I'm not very happy with it,but your encouraging words will probably speed my recovery :D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. Mysterious! It made me remember 'Catch me if you can'.
    You wrote this in flu that too in half an hour, I wonder how good it could be if you were not ill. :)
    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and your kinder wishes Anjali :)

      Delete
  9. Very well woven...fast, pacy, crisp!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Akila. I'm not very happy with the content, but I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  10. the twist at the end was very good. interesting tale..

    The woman on platform number 10

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice read!
    ATB for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you still found time to write, while unwell, something of a sufficiently high quality that most of us struggle to write even at the best of times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A brilliant blend of imagination and narration, Mixi!!I liked that 'bounty-hunter'... Loved it! ATB for BAT!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mixi, had loved your entry and voted for it at the BAT too.

    I have nominated you for the 'One Picture From My Photo Album’ contest conducted by My Yatra Diary and CupoNation at http://myyatradiary.blogspot.in/. Hope you participate and enjoy the contest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...